Thursday, July 24, 2008

St. V's Appt

We did not get the news we were hoping for today. There are several new issues. First, my cervix is starting to shorten, which is a sign of pre-term labor. I will go in early next week to be checked again and if it continues to shorten, they will give me steroid shots to help boost the babies growth and they will have to take them shortly after (not sure exactly how soon after). The second and more concerning issue is that Taylor's umbilical cord is not functioning properly. It's hard to explain, but right now he's not getting all that he needs as far as blood flow goes. So, not only is his placenta poor, but now this. Doc says that this condition may progress to a point where he will not be getting any blood flow from the cord and therefore, they will need to take the babies right away. It's a waiting game....will it be the cervix that goes first or his cord? The most concerning out of all of this news is that in a 3 week period Taylor only gained 4 oz which is very poor growth. He's now only 1 lb 10 oz. He's well below the 10th percentile. To compare, Laynie grew a whole pound in the 3 week period and she's in the 50th percentile. She's at 2 lbs 7 oz.

Basically, on any given day I could be admitted to the hospital to either take the babies or to be monitored 24 X 7. We have an appt with a Neonatologist (they are the ones who take care of the preemie babies in the NICU) on August 7th. If we make it to that date we will learn a lot more about survival rates for our babies, length of stay in the hospital and what options we have. Otherwise, I'm sure when I'm in the hospital I will talk with them.

My doctor also took me off work full-time. I need to get as much rest as possible and get prepared for the long road ahead of us.

At this time, I'm pretty overwhelmed. I will try and write more later. Just wanted to get something out so you all know what's going on and what we need to pray for.

We love you!

3 comments:

Martta said...

Wow! Those little ones sure have come along way! I know that God has the perfect plan for them and you and Josh. We might not understand all of this but we need to trust in Him. I will keep praying my hardest for all of you! I know all that you have gone thru to get these little babies and for that they have a special place in my heart. And for you and Josh I am so proud of you and know that you are going to be great parents to Laynie AND Taylor!! You have many friends and family who love you and will do anything for you remember that and don't hesitate to ask! We love you and will keep you in our prayers! Get some rest and try to relax. :)
Hugs,
Mar

Unknown said...

I agree totaly with Martta, and I will put you on our Church Prayer chain. We Love you all.

Grandma & Grandpa Hartmann

Unknown said...

We are thinking of you and praying! We love you very much and we will keep praying for the best for all of you!

Love,
Jack